Another Father's Day Card

Thursday, June 23, 2011

I hope that everyone has had a wonderful week!  The weather was very nice here today and supposed to be even better tomorrow :)  This is the other Father's Day card I made this year.  This one was for my dad: :)  I'm very lucky to have breakfast with my dad every Sunday morning.  I would trade this time with him for anything!  My dad has always loved lighthouses.  He loves to visit them and has tons of pictures of them.  Here's my card:
The colors aren't accurate here but the glitter shows really well!


Close-up of the sand & DAD

I'm going to be honest and say this lighthouse cut was a bit frustrating.  It is from the Life is a Beach cartridge.  This is not a cartridge I own (definitely one I want though!), but I was able to borrow it from my mom.  Since I was borrowing it, I was not able to use my gypsy with it :(  There is not blackout option for it (at least not that I could figure out).  The only cuts available are the outline and the spots in red. Technically if you just put it together the way it cuts the glittered parts would have just been see through holes? You can see the handbook page here.  So since that is not what I wanted,  I glued the outline and red pieces together. Then glued that to  a white piece of paper and cut around it. Of course with my Gypsy I could have just hidden some of the cuts!

Anyway on to the other pieces... The sand is made with a marble paper (I'm not sure what brand apparently I threw away the packaging).   I cut the strips and then tore the tops.  Typically I struggle with the whole tearing technique because I am a bit of a perfectionist, but here I really like it.  After I tore it, I added Tulip glitter glue to the torn tops.  The birds are cut from textured grey paper from Hobby Lobby.  All of the other paper is from my scraps.  I wanted to make sure that the card was obviously for Father's Day. I cut the letters for DAD from the same "sand" paper and glittered them as well.  I wanted it to look like it was written in the sand. I also added glitter to the shells at the bottom. Last of all I used the D'vine Swirls embossing fold on the clouds.

The Cuts:
* The Lighthouse - Life is a Beach at 3.75"
* The Birds - Life is a Beach at 1.5"
*The Clouds - Create-a-Critter at .5", .75", 1"
* The Shells - Create-a-Critter at .5", 75", 1"
*"DAD" - Pooh Font at 1"

I think it turned out really nice and my dad totally loved it :)  As always, I'd love to hear your thoughts (and tips for the lighthouse if you have them)! I'll have another post in a couple of days so be sure to check back! *~*Thanks for stopping by*~*

I'm linking this post to:


11 sparkly comments:

Arlene said...

Very creative Tiffany. Love the sand and the tearing effect. :)

Arlene.
http://sparkledmemories.blogspot.com/

Sarah said...

Hi Tiffany, Great card! Love the tearing technique you used. Thanks for visiting my blog. Have a great day! Hugs, Sarah

Tracy said...

Hi Tiffany....super fun project!

Thanks so much for joining us on the T.G.I.F. Linky Party at Craft Junkie Too. I really appreciate it and I hope you come back next week to play along again.
~Tracy

Craft Junkie Too

Anonymous said...

Great card

Karen said...

Tiffany, this is gorgeous! Your shimmery accents are stunning. I LOVE how you wrote Dad in the sand... that is my favorite Father's Day sentiment location I've seen this year. :o) Perfection. The shimmery lighthouse makes me smile, as does the whole landscape you created. I'm sure he cherishes this heartfelt card. :o)

(I'm sorry for the comment delay... I try to keep up but had to be away for a couple of days!)

Hugs and blessings! :o)

Lisa said...

Tiffany, this is absolutely gorgeous! This would be perfect for my dad, too...he loves lighthouses as well! One bathroom in my parents house is completely decorated with lighthouses of all shapes and sizes! Beautiful card...and I love how you improvised without your Gypsy - so creative :D

Lisa
http://indymermaid.blogspot.com

Amy said...

This card is very, very nice! I love the sparkly accents and the simple sentiment in the sand. I am also an elementary teacher! :) I am a new follower, and I would love for you to check out my blog too! :)
Amy

redheadedcrafter.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I am a new follower!
Thanks for stopping by my blog and following me.
hugs
Deanne
http://www.deannescreativejuice.blogspot.com/

Just Me said...

Cute card. The sparkles on the lighthouse make it look like that sparkly concrete. Thanks for joining the GAB challenge this week

Brandon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brandon said...

You made the Top 3 on the Patches of Pink Link-Up Party this week. Congratulations!!

http://www.patchesofpink.com/2011/06/thursday-favorites-and-link-up-party-6.html

Post a Comment