Graduation Card

Saturday, June 4, 2011

It has been a busy week here.  School finished this week and there will be one week before summer school starts.  I'm excited to work with some of my kiddos over the summer to ensure they don't lose anything they learned this year! On to the card... I made this card for a friend who had a son graduating from high school.  It is called a petal fold card.  I got the idea from Hero Arts and adjusted it to make it the size I wanted (although in the long run I made it a bit too big!) His school colors were blue and red. 
 
Back
Inside (the glitter is hard to see)
Here is what I did (original template found at Mirkwood Designs - I didn't actually print it):
* Cut a 12" x 12" paper to 11" x 11" (I should have cut it to 10.5" x 10.5")
* Score at 2.75" rotate the paper 90 degrees and score at 2.75" (would have scored at 2 5/8")

At the size I made it, it didn't fit in the 5.5" envelopes I purchased.  That is why I included alternate measurements above.  I ended up just making my own envelope. I also embossed the front using the Cuttlebug Polka Dots folder to give it some texture.  I added a button with a gem in the center and looped the tassel around it.  The tassel was made with embroidery floss.  I left the floss bundled (I actually used 2) the way it came and cut it in half at one end.  Then I wrapped white floss around it and tied a string at the top. I trimmed them a little at the bottom because they seemed too long.  The designer paper is by The Paper Studio and cut at 5.5" x 5.5" (would be 5.25" if original paper was 10.5").  I used my slit punch from Stampin' Up to cut the flaps that hold the gift card holder. "Congrats!" is cut at 1" from Classic Cricut Font.  And of course it is glittered with black diamond Stickles.

I'm linking this up at:


I've been working on a fabulous card for my grandmother and will get it posted ASAP.  I also am excited to be in another hop on June 20th.  It is all about cupcakes (yum!) and is hosted by Sylvia at Bella Scrapbook Designs.  Be sure to check back! *~*Thanks for stopping by*~*

11 sparkly comments:

HappyPlaceJen said...

Great card! Love it! :) ~Jen http://happyplaceforjen.blogspot.com/

Tami B. said...

I'm glad school is out- maybe we can all settle down and get back to crafting & blogging a little more. I've been missing your posts. Can't wait for the cupcake(s).

scrappinC said...

Absolutely wonderful card. You did a fabulous job on the tassel!
TFS!
Cindy Lou

LaurieStar said...

Wow! What a darling card! Thanks so much for coming by to visit me on my blog yesterday. I appreciate it! Your blog is full of inspiration! :)

Houses Built of Cards said...

GREAT card!!! What a fabulous idea!!! Thanks for linking up with Patches of Pink!

housesbuiltofcards@gmail.com
www.housesbuiltofcards.blogspot.com

Georgiana said...

What a neat fold! Looks like it would be fun to open. Enjoy summer school. I am working on a bunch of committees for rdg, math, and sci.

Jessica Buffa said...

Wow!!! SENSATIONAL Graduation Card! Thanks for becoming my 100th follower!!!! Be sure to enter my giveaway that ends 6/20/11!!!!

Larelyn said...

Hi Tiffany,
Your card is fabulous and thanks for the alternate measurements. You asked about the fonts I used on the poster you saw on Quick Tip Tuesday - for the "Welcome," I used Hello Kitty Font cart and for the the other I used Robotz.
Thanks for visiting FCCB.
Hugs,
Larelyn
http://handmadefromtheheart-designsbylarelyn.blogspot.com

scrappinC said...

Tiffany ~ you are going to love your gypsy, looking forward to seeing what you create with it.
Cindy Lou

Lori Comeau said...

That's an awesome card. I think I may just borrow your idea for my nephews graduation card. Hope you don't mind.
http://lorisartsyobsession.blogspot.com/

Sherrie K. said...

What a awesome card! Love the envelope:)
Sherrie K
http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

Post a Comment