Birthday Card

Thursday, June 30, 2011

This is a card I made for my father-in-law for his birthday.  I made something very similar to it for Christmas at a Stampin' Up class that I went to with my mom.  It is a gift card holder.
To make this card:
* Start with a piece of paper 8" x 4"
* Then score it in half to make it 4"x4"
* For the top cut another piece of paper (I used the same color) 4.25" x 3"
* Score in half to make it 4.25" x 1.5"
* Cut a piece of pattern paper 3.75" x 3.75"
* Cut another piece of paper paper 4" x 1.25"
(both of my pattern papers came from a multi-pack I got for Christmas - don't know the brand though)
* Apply glue to the side edges only of the card base so that you will be able to slide the gift card in and out.
* Also apply glue to the back of the base to attach the top flap.
* To make it easier to get the gift card in and out, I glued it to a 3.5" x 3" piece of cardstock (I forgot to get a picture with that part in the card. It was blue!)

For the finishing touches I added a bow cut from Create-a-Critter at 5.25", 4.75", & 4.25".  I cut the ribbon part of the bow off.  Then I glued them together and the whole thing between the pattern paper and the cardstock. I also added a button and a gem.  I had intended to add some glitter to at least the bow. Long story short... I had to have a very minor surgery last week and boy was my doctor wrong about being able to return to my normal activities the next day!  Five days later and I still can't do everything I want. So I didn't have as much time to sparkle it up as I would have liked to.  Finally, I added a Happy Birthday tag (the stamp is from TCP Studio).

As always, I'd love to hear what you think!  I hope to have another project up in a few days.  Also, I'm going to be in another blog hop on July 22nd-24th.  It is Christmas in July!  I love Christmas cards so I am super excited!!! I will have some wonderful holiday blog candy, as I am sure others will too :)  *~*Thanks for Stopping by*~* 
I'm linking this up to:

12 sparkly comments:

Lisa said...

This is so adorable, Tiffany! I love how the card opens and that it is a gift card holder! The paper is so cute! I hope you are feeling better very soon :)

Lisa
http://indymermaid.blogspot.com

PS - I'm excited to be in the Christmas in July blog hop with you!

Trina said...

Totally cute. I like that you were so clear with your directions. Thanks for sharing.

Sunshine HoneyBee said...

Especially like the detailed directions. Thanks for sharing. I made a candy bar wrapper at a Stampin Up card camp I went to last yr.
Melissa
"Sunshine HoneyBee"
http://createdbysunshinehoneybee.blogspot.com

HappyPlaceJen said...

This is a very clever gift card holder card, Tiffany! TFS! And I do hope your recovery speeds up for you. God bless! ~Jen http://happyplaceforjen.blogspot.com/

Karen said...

Love this, as usual! The bright colors are perfectly festive and I *love* the combination of stripes and dots. :o) SO excited about all things Christmas in July.. how I adore Christmas. :o) More importantly, I prayed for you and will continue to do so.. you're in excellent hands for a speedy recovery. I've been thinking about you and actually came here to make sure you were okay. When too much time goes by between your sparkly sightings anywhere, I need to check up on you. Sending you lots of love and sparkles, dear friend.

Hugs and blessings! :o)

Amy said...

This is so cute!!! This is a nice take on the usual gift card holders... :)
Amy

Sherrie K. said...

This is such a GREAT idea! I am always looking for quick ideas for gift cards. TFS!
Sherrie K
http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

Cheryl O said...

What a great idea, I'm going to try this one out for sure!!! Thank you for the clear directions too!!!!

Hope you're feeling better too!!

Arlene said...

Tiffany, this is super cute and such a great idea! :) Love it.

BTW, the stamp on my card is heat embossed with white embossing powder. Let me know if you need help or more info. Have a great 4th of July! :)

Arlene.

BLJ Graves Studio said...

Adorable! Such a fabulous way to give a gift card. :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow.. It's really beautiful card. l Love this.
seo greece

Unknown said...

I found is on Pinterest and am making this into a card that will open at the bottom. I love the idea and the simple directions. I will pin it for gift card use also.

Post a Comment